A NEW WARSHIP IS CREATED
The STEPHEN POTTER (DD‑538) was laid down on 27 October 1942 by the Bethlehem Steel Company, San Francisco, California; launched 28 April 1943; sponsored by Misses Sally and Marian Potter; and commissioned on 21 October 1943, Commander C. H. Crichton in command.
The STEPHEN POTTER had a complement of 19 officers and 310 men. The overall length of the ship was 376 feet with a beam of 39 feet. The ship's displacement was 2050 tons with a speed of 35 knots. It was steam powered with four boilers, oil‑fired, two in the forward boiler room and two in the aft boiler room. The engine rooms aft of (behind) each boiler room contained the steam turbines. Each engine room supplied power to one of the two propellers.
The ship's armaments consisted of five 5-inch, 38 caliber single mount guns in turrets. Two turrets were in line forward of the ship's bridge structure. The other three were in line aft of the ship's stacks. There were four twin 40‑millimeter gun mounts. Two were located just forward of the bridge, and two more were located on each side of the ship between the No. 3 and No. 4, 5‑inch gun turrets. There were ten 21‑inch torpedo tubes located between the two boiler room stacks. In addition, there were several 20‑millimeter gun mounts.